0116 232 5195

Energy performance in schools

The future picture 

Across the education sector in 2000, the vast proportion of energy consumed was for space heating. Lighting, catering and hot water had equal weighting as the next largest uses of energy.

Public sector occupiers of large buildings including schools and universities are required to produce, on an annual basis, display energy certificates (DECs). The DEC will have to be displayed in a prominent place clearly visible to the public, unless there are exceptional circumstances. The DEC will be accompanied by an advisory report, which details the potential improvements that can be made. The Advisory Report will be updated every 7 years.

An Energy Assessor, accredited to produce display energy certificates for that type of building, is the only person who can produce a DEC and Advisory Report for the building. They will use an approved calculation method.

1 Further advice
2 Display Energy Certificates (DEC)
3 How much carbon?